Novi Sad & Tunnel of Petrovaradin Fortress
from 259 €
Visit Petrovaradin Fortress overlooking Danube river and explore multicultural town of Novi Sad
The city rich with tradition and culture, and the city where cultural heritage is preserved as carefully as a relaxed atmosphere. This city can be proud of the epithet of multinational, multicultural, and multiconfessional capital. This is where differences and diversities are understood as advantages. Novi Sad is also the city of science and art. At the Novi Sad University there are nineteen faculties, Association of Centres for Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary Studies and Researches, and specialised institutes and departments. In addition, the city has many museums and galleries where numerous cultural events, exhibitions and displays are organised. The city centre with attractive old city core, and prestigious Novi Sad Fair is the host of many world known festivals and events. Being positioned on the Danube, with the Fortress the building of which was completed in the 18th century.
- Meet your guide in Belgrade city center. Drive to the capital of Vojvodina province Novi Sad.
- Petrovaradin Fortress overlooking the city of Novi Sad, as well as Danube river is a first site to visit. “The Gibraltar of the Danube”, as it was once called by the Austrian army, was an excellent fortification against the Ottomans. It took 88 years for the city to build the fort, from 1692 to 1780 with great efforts by the whole Habsburg Empire involving huge financial resources and the loss of many lives during the construction. It also hosts a dazzling maze of the underground military galleries. In some of the tunnels you can still find small pits where explosives were hidden during sieges of the fortress. About 20 km of underground corridors and a mysterious well at the bottom of the Petrovaradin Fortress, make it one of the most intriguing fortresses in this part of Europe. Visit the tunnels with a professional guide before continuing to Novi Sad. It is mostly a baroque town with a Central European atmosphere.
- Start with a walking tour through old town center. It is lined up with beautiful 200 year old houses, out-doors cafes, shops and ice-cream parlors, as well as beautiful places of worship – the ornate Serbian Orthodox church, the tall Catholic Cathedral or the Jewish synagogue (no longer in actual use). After short panoramic tour, continue with walking tour, followed by free time in the pedestrian zone.
- After pleasant time in Vojvodina region, return drive to Belgrade city center.
- Explore Novi Sad, Serbia's second-largest city
- See the historic Petrovaradin Fortress, with underground tunnels
- Professional English Speaking Guide
- Deluxe Air conditioned vehicle/Bus up to capacity of 49 pax
- Petrovaradin Fortress Tunnels Entrance Fee
- Guests need to be prepared to moderate amount of walking.
- Tour is considered as moderate walking activities tour.
- Guests should bring comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Booking deadline is 24 hrs before start of the tour.
- Order of visits may vary
- Tour includes moderate walking activities.
- In Petrovaradin fortress guests will have to walk approximately 500 meters uphill and return downhill; take
up to 20+ steps.
- Visit to the tunnels includes walking couple hundreds of meters walking underground.